Mar 6, 2023

Blue Creek Down Back

I'm starting a new series based on my favourite muse: the bushland behind my studio. These paintings will be looser than before, and my goal is abstraction, within the landscape genre.

I am referencing Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles with this painting. My alternative title was Black Stump. But I'll save that for another one.

In 2001 this area was burnt in a massive bush fire, and today many of the trees are still blackened. Some are dead stumps, but many have survived, and are re-growing.

This painting is about climate change: we have severe droughts and flooding rains, and fires that are so destructive that regrowth can take decades. 



Blue Creek Down Back
118 x 145cm
(47" x 57")


Room view from Canvy to give an idea of size.
Currently this painting is not framed.


My working space. A fabulous easel made by a friend's husband.
It can handle very large canvases.